Last week, I picked up my responsive design project where I left off. In earlier post I described the beginning of the project. Since November, many of the pages in the site have been updated. There is still a lot of work to be done. This week I changed design programs from Expression Web 4 to Dreamweaver Creative Cloud chiefly because I wanted to use the full capabilities of CSS 3 and have them recognized by my design program. To put it simply, Expression Web 4 is 10 years old and shows every bit of its age. It’s so old in fact that Microsoft is giving it away for free. I have tried Visual Studio 2015, and it takes too long to install; and comes with too many features I will never use.
Dreamweaver Creative Cloud is subscription service, so I will have access to updates as they become available. It is standards compliant and the user interface is not that different. In the end, markup is mark up and code is code. Dreamweaver should I serve my needs for the foreseeable future. Switching to Dreamweaver has created some issues. The most annoying one is that the program uses a slightly different syntax in its dynamic web templates, which means I cannot create new pages based on my existing templates. Furthermore, all pages based on existing templates must be updated after I create new templates based on the different syntax, but all of those are backstage updates.
Most of my major content pages have been updated. I still have some structural pages to update, and I am considering updating the Doctor Who Episode Guide and keegan.wiki as well as other sub-sites. Additionally, I still have a great deal more to learn about CSS 3. I am still having difficulty mastering flex box and float.